Every March, we celebrate International Women’s Day with a series of radio segments focusing on the female voices in hip-hop music and culture.
One of my favourite parts of this yearly tradition is the roundtable panel discussion. For Women in Hip-Hop 5, our panel featured Haviah Mighty, Tiff the Gift, and Skulastic. We had an amazing discussion that touched on some of these topics . . .
– Do you consider yourself to be a feminist?
– Have you encountered roadblocks or obstacles in your career because you are a woman?
– Why are women sexualized just to be heard in this day and age?
– Why do people use the term femcee or female rapper instead of simply just an MC?
– How can we bring back some balance to hip-hop? (Traditional radio seems to only have one lane, back in the day, we had various sounds and opinions being heard?)
– How you do you discover new music and female artists in particular?
We feature a song from each of the panelists as well:
Haviah Mighty – We Can’t Be
Tiff the Gift – Many of Me
Skulastic – Rap Scholar
Press play to stream this show or download it for free to take with you!
And make sure to check all of the segments we did Women in Hip-Hop 5 this year!