Finally These Kingston Times, the eight-track project from Jamaican emcee Five Steez, is here. It’s an honest and somewhat gritty outlook on the city of Kingston, and maybe it’s little too brief but hey, solid things come in small packages.
Listen up and get with the program.
“I wanted to paint my city the way I see it, and in a way I’ve never heard the story told before in music,” says Five Steez. “Since Hip Hop’s genesis with DJ Kool Herc, there has always been a Jamaican influence and involvement in the genre, but you’ve never heard about actual life here in ‘yard’, as we affectionately call it. It’s a new perspective in Hip Hop, but parallel to that of urban environments worldwide.”
1) Welcome (Produced by OneMan Beats)
2) These Kingston Times (Produced by The Patents)
3) Wild West Indies (Produced by Symbo Science)
4) From the Ground Up (Produced by Most Phear)
5) The Starting Five f/ K. John, Kash Kapri, France Nooks & Nomad Carlos (Produced by Bravo)
6) Deadly (Produced by DJ Crooks)
7) Night Streets (Produced by Truck Julius)
8) Untold Stories 2 (Produced by Phil Chronics)
Recorded by Stephen Bravo at Gambling House Recording Studio
Mixed and Mastered by Capish at Studio Nagrywarka
Artwork by Lauren Watkis
Executive Produced by Five Steez